Beach style stories
How to create your color stories
Choosing colors is a detail that can entirely make or break an outfit. Sometimes clothing in the wrong colour combinations can destroy an outfit and set a completely wrong mood.
Below you can find some tips on how to create powerful color stories that feel like music. Like harmonious chords, sometimes of gentle intensity and sometimes of intensity that really stirs up!
Let’s start with the busy fabrics, like a floral or a check. When you get a garment that has any pattern, things get really easy. Just pick a color from your pattern and bring it in your outfit.
In ALISAHNE Playsuit in dark bloom floral pattern for example, you can choose a shade of the green, teal, yellow or white that are contained in the floral print and bring it in a bag, shoe, scarf or any other detail in the outfit. This is the safest way to combine colors and to always look chic.
Color blocking is a good way to create your story from scratch. For a successful color blocking you just need to analyze color a bit more. A simple way to do that is just by understanding how the color theory works, based on the color wheel.
Diagram Credits: http://presentitude.com/color-theory-part-1/
1. Analogous Color Palette: This is a combination deriving from picking up adjacent colors that are next to each other. For example, violet, blue violet and blue. This way you will create a harmonious and easy to look at story.
2. Complementary Colour Palette: For this combination, mix the opposites. Pick a color and one opposite to it on the color wheel. For example, yellow and violet. This is a way to create strong and memorable visual impact.
3. Split Colors: For this color combination, you pick up a color. And then pick up two colors that are adjacent to the opposite color. For example red violet, blue violet and yellow. This color scheme has the same strong visual contrast as the complementary color scheme, but has less tension.
Diagram Credits: http://idolza.com/qz/2d1b295/to-ways/gg2592/
4. Triadic Color Palette: This is a more 90’s look. A triadic color scheme uses colors that are evenly spaced around the color wheel. For example, orange, yellow and green. Triadic color harmonies tend to be quite vibrant, even if you use pale or unsaturated versions of your hues.
5. Tetradic Palette: Again you can use geometry for your color story if you wish to combine 4 colors. Tetradic color scheme uses four colors arranged into two complementary pairs. For example, red orange, yellow green, red violet and blue green this rich color scheme offers plenty of possibilities for variation.
And while color combinations can be very creative and fun, monochromatic outfits are very modern and sharp! You simply pick up a single color for everything or in similar tones, or even combine it with various amounts of neutrals and you always look kind of royal. In fashion, popular neutrals are shades of white, metallics, animal prints, denim, black, camel, nude and grey. You can mix as many of the neutrals you like to get the contrast you wish and look incredibly contemporary.
No matter what your color story will be, pay attention to the balance between warm and cool colors and keep in mind to match the textures as well! Good coordinated textures play an important role and they bring their own voice to your story.
I hope you found this helpful ! Give us a shout if you have any difficulties color-combining an item and we will be extremely happy to help
Calliope Poppy Anastouli | Fashion & Textile Professional